We hope you have a relaxing and wonderful Spring Break! Due to the break, we won't be sending out our next newsletter until the 30th so this issue is chock-full of the many events and opportunities happening for job searches and career development this month and in April.
Symplicity Document Library Renamed as Resources: The Document Library is now located under the RESOURCES TAB on your Symplicity Homepage as Resources. All of our guides, handouts, and applications have been moved there under the new heading.
Job Blasts: Starting on Tuesday, March 27th LCS will be sending out weekly class-specific job blasts noting open job postings in Symplicity. If you wish to Opt-Out of receiving this email, please visit the Privacy Sub-Tab under your Profile Tab on Symplicity and Click No for Receive Email Job Blasts.
Interested in Judicial Clerking?: Are you considering a postgraduate Judicial Clerkship? Come learn more about these invaluable opportunities at the Spring 2012 Judicial Clerkship Programming
Volunteered this Year? Report it!: Students who complete and report at least 50 hours of service to the Pro Bono and Community Service Intiative by April 4th are eligible for a prestigious service award which is a fantastic addition to your resume. Read MoreInterested in Honors Programs, Fellowships, and more? Dial-in for a teleconference call to discuss postgraduate opportunities in federal agency honors programs, fellowships, and the Presidential Management Fellows Program. Please RSVP in Symplicity by March 27, 2012 for dial-in instructions. Read More
1Ls:Meet the Employer Reception-- April 11th: 1Ls don't miss the chance to mix and mingle with employers from all legal sectors at the annual 1L exclusive Meet the Employers Reception. Please note you must have attended Creating Connections (See the Symplicity Calendar for Dates and Times) to participate. Continue to check the Announcement Box on your Symplicity homepage as well as the LCS blog for more information. Click Here for the Current List of Participating Employers. Please RSVP in Symplicity.
1Ls: Still Figuring Out This Summer? Click Here for more information about the 1L Summer Opportunities Guide.
Not sure what you want to do with your law degree? Check out Bonnie Tunick's popular Self-Assessment Workshop on Wednesday, April 4, 2012 in 903 Lewis from 11:50am-12:50pm. Click Here for More Details
REMINDER: Job Postings: LCS was contacted recently by multiple employers who have posted jobs in Symplicity but were not receiving applications from DePaul students as they had hoped. Please remember to check Symplicity often and apply early to the job postings (many employers begin their candidate screening process on a rolling basis, before deadlines close). We still have postings open for all class years.
REMINDER: Proofreading and PDFs: Every time you have an updated resume loaded into Symplicity be sure to look over your pdf before you send it out. Sometimes the conversion from Word to pdf throws things out of whack: your formatting, your bullets, your margins, the number of pages. Checking this and proofreading helps ensure your resume is making the right statement about you with its substantive content, not its careless mistakes.
REMINDER: WAITING FOR RESUME REVIEWS? Barring extreme circumstances, we strive to review resumes within a week of submission. If you have not heard from your advisor within that timeframe, please drop her or him an email to make sure your review has not been lost in the mail.
Next Two Week's Calendar - check out Symplicity, the College of Law, and local bar association calendars for more events, training opportunities, and deadlines. **PLEASE NOTE: All Deadlines mentioned on the Symplicity Calendar will now be noted in the 9:30am slot of the deadline date. These include application and RSVP deadlines.
Monday, March 19
- 12:15 PM: YLS Diversity Committee Meeting, Off-Site
Tuesday, March 20
- 1:00 PM: Student Strategies for Success: How to Find Your Dream Job, Webinar
- 6:00 PM: Center for Economic Progress Fundraising Event, Off-Site
Friday, March 23
- 2:00 PM: Get Your Educational Loans Forgiven: Public Service Loan Forgiveness, Webinar
- 6:00 PM: 3rd Annual Joseph Bartylak Dinner, Off-Site
Monday, March 26
- 3:00-5:30 PM: Drop-In Advising with Career Advisor Lew Check, 340 O'Malley
Tuesday, March 27
- 3:00-4:00 PM: Drop-In Advising with Assistant Dean & Director Alisa Rosales, 340 O'Malley
- 4:30 PM: CREATING EFFECTIVE CONNECTIONS, 903 Lewis
- 6:00 Chicago Police Custody Hotline Volunteer Attorney Training, Off-Site
Wednesday, March 28
- 12:00 PM: Judicial Clerkships: Nuts and Bolts of the Application Processes, 341 Lewis
- 3:00-5:30 PM: Drop-In Advising with Assistant Director of Recruiting Elizabeth Boe
- 4:00 PM: Honors, Fellowships, PMF, Oh My!, Webinar
Thursday, March 29
- 11:45 AM: CREATING EFFECTIVE CONNECTIONS, 903 Lewis
- 12:00 PM: Judicial Clerkships: Faculty Perspectives Panel, 901 Lewis
- 3:00-5:30 PM: Drop-In Advising with Assistant Director Bonnie Tunick
Friday, March 30
- 9:00 AM: PBCSI March Donate-a-Day Volunteer Opportunity, DePaul University Loop Campus
Latest Law Career Services Blog posts:
- Diverse Law Students Reception at Edwards Wildman
- Etiquette Tip of the Week: Happy Medium
- CBA News and Announcements
- Upcoming CBA Volunteer Opportunities
- Upcoming 2L Government Internship and Honors Deadlines
- Upcoming 1L Government Internship and Honors Deadlines
- Upcoming CBA Continuing Legal Education
- Upcoming CBA Special Events
- Your Executive Legacy: Starting With the End in View | CAREEREALISM http://ow.ly/9F63I
- Creating a Road Map to a Successful Career | CAREEREALISM http://ow.ly/9F5Xj
- Top 5 Tips to Successfully Attend a Networking Event | CAREEREALISM http://ow.ly/9F5SN
- How to research potential employers at trade shows: http://ow.ly/9Eqlc
- How Great Entrepreneurs Think http://ow.ly/9EpL6
- 10 Questions You Need To Ask The Interviewer To Get The Job http://ow.ly/9oRAa
Come visit us in 340 O'Malley, which is on the north side of the building, facing Jackson Boulevard. We have computers, a resource library, and lounging space as you work on your job search and professional development tasks.
Law Career Services Location & Details: 340 O'Malley, which is across from the two new small classrooms (343 & 344), facing Jackson. To make an appointment or access your Symplicity account/reset your password, stop by or call the office at (312) 362-8385. We have computers, a resource library, and lounging space as you work on your job search and professional development tasks.
OFFICE HOURS OF OPERATION
- Monday-Thursday: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Friday: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Weekly TEN MINUTE ADVISING (Drop-In Hours): 3:00pm-5:30pm, most Mondays-Thursdays: Please check the Symplicity Calendar for the current schedule for Ten Minute Advising to meet with an Advisor for quick questions.