Please join the staff of Law Career Services for a short overview orientation session for 1L students. You will meet the staff, learn about upcoming programs, and hear a brief, lively program from the Student Ambassadors. They will present a few tips about how to make your job search easier from the very start. We assigned you to the Orientation scheduled for your 1L Section
September 7, 2012
This week's Symplicity statistics: 12 new events and 61 new job postings have been listed on Symplicity. Stop by the office if you'd like help with setting up search agents to complement the job blasts to make sure you don't miss any! Some recent jobs posted include:
- 17158: Summer 2013 Intern with a National Civil Rights Organization
- 17168: Postgraduate Immigration Advocacy Fellowship
- 17185: Summer 2013 Internship in Community Relations Services in a federal agency
- 17178: Immediate Law Clerk Position for a Chicago Litigation Firm
Law Career Services is also hiring! Are you looking for a job that fits your schedule while you learn more about public interest career opportunities? Alisa Rosales is looking to hire two energetic students to serve as Public Interest Coordinators. See Symplicity Job Posting #17217 for more details.
Registration for the Equal Justice Works Conference & Career Fair opened closes on September 13. Check out more details here. 3L Sami Silverstein will be attending and is working with Alumni Relations to organize a networking event with local alumni for Thursday, October 25, 2012. Please email Alisa Rosales if you have any questions.
I am always surprised when I meet a college student or person in business who is the picture of confidence -- smart business attire, great eye contact, smiling, perfect posture -- but then when that person goes in for the handshake... his or her handshake is so lifeless, so limp, I feel like my next step should be to check the person's pulse.Your handshake speaks. It must be firm. It should say: "I am intelligent. I am confident. And I am darn glad to meet you."
September 5, 2012
Open positions are posted in many places, including PSJD (Public Service Job Database), which replaces the former PSLawNet. This national resource provides job posting services free to employers and job seekers, as well as job search advice through job search resources, an active blog, and twitter account. Check it out today for more information and to create your own account so you can set search agents that would help you find positions such as the snapshot below.ASSOCIATE: Chicago, IL
KEOGH LAW, LTD.
Are you looking to gain experience and become more involved in both the law school and local community? Join the Pro Bono & Community Service Initiative (PBCSI) tomorrow, Thursday, September 6th at 11:50 a.m. in Room 905 for their Fall Activities Fair. PBCSI’s partner organizations will be there, along with other legal aid and service organizations. Lunch will be served.
No RSVP required. Please email PBCSI Director, Cheryl Price at cprice13 [at] depaul.edu for more information.
September 4, 2012
The following government programs have 2L deadlines coming up in the next few weeks. Details of these programs are provided in the 2012-13 Government Honors & Internship Handbook (login/password located in the Job Board Passwords in the Symplicity Quick Links). Programs with “Rolling Deadlines” review applications and fill positions on an ongoing basis, so apply early for these programs.
• Environmental Protection Agency – Region 9 Volunteer Intern Program (Unpaid, Deadline early Sept.)
• U.S. Dept. of Justice – Summer Law Intern Program (Paid, Deadline 09/04/12)
• Federal Trade Commission – Bureau of Consumer Protection 2013 Summer Law Clerk Program (Paid & Unpaid, Deadline 09/14/12)
The following government programs have 3L deadlines coming up in the next few weeks. Details of these programs are provided in the 2012-13 Government Honors & Internship Handbook (login/password located in the Job Board Passwords in the Symplicity Quick Links).
• Department of Justice – Attorney General’s Honors Program (Paid, Deadline 09/04/12)
• Department of the Interior – Office of the Solicitor 2013 Honors Attorney Program (Paid, Deadline 09/07/12)
• Washington Attorney General – Preferred Pool Status in Attorney Hiring (Paid, Deadline 09/09/12)
• Massachusetts Office of the Attorney General – Fellowship Program (Paid, Deadline 09/14/12)
• Oregon Department of Justice – Honors Attorney Program (Paid, Deadline 09/14/12)
• Federal Trade Commission – Bureau of Competition Entry Legal Attorney Program (Paid, Deadline 09/15/12)
• Comptroller of the Currency – Law Department Chief Counsel’s Employment Program (Paid, Deadline 09/17/12)
• Consumer Financial Protection Bureau – Louis D. Brandeis Attorney Honors Program (Unpaid, Deadline 09/17/12)