August 26, 2011
Would you like to begin the year with an easy way to make an impact? By committing to one hour monthly, you can help shape LCS programming by becoming an LCS Ambassador! We're looking for positive and proactive law students to provide us with feedback from the student body as well as supplement the work of the SBA Career Services Liaison. Additional details and applications can be found in the Symplicity Document Library and are due on Tuesday, September 2, 2011.
The following government programs have 3L deadlines coming up in the next few weeks. Details of these programs are provided in the 2011-12 Government Honors & Internship Handbook (login/password located in the Symplicity Announcements).
• Department of State – Office of the Legal Advisor (Civil) 3-Year New Attorney Program (Paid, Deadline 09/01/11)
• Department of Justice – Attorney General’s Honors Program (Paid, Deadline 09/06/11)
• Department of the Interior – Office of the Solicitor 2012 Honors Attorney Program (Paid, Deadline 09/09/11)
• Department of Transportation – Office of the General Counsel 2012 Honors Attorney Program (Paid, Deadline 09/09/11)
• Washington Attorney General – Preferred Pool Status in Attorney Hiring (Paid, Deadline 09/09/11)
• Federal Trade Commission – Bureau of Competition Entry Level Attorney Program (Paid, Deadline 09/15/11)
The following government programs have 2L deadlines coming up in the next few weeks. Details of these programs are provided in the 2011-12 Government Honors & Internship Handbook (login/password located in Symplicity Announcements).
• Environmental Protection Agency – Office of General Counsel Summer Honors Program (Paid, Deadline 08/26/11)
• Government Accountability Office – Office of General Counsel Summer Associate Program (Paid, Deadline 09/01/11)
• Department of Justice – Summer Law Intern Program (Paid, Deadline 09/06/11)
• Central Intelligence Agency – Office of General Counsel Summer Law Clerk Program (Paid, Deadline 09/15/11)
August 25, 2011
The following is a list of committees that have notified the CBA of their speaker/topic. Meetings are held at 12:15 p.m. for one hour at the CBA unless otherwise noted. Bring your CBA card to obtain MCLE credit for meeting attendance. Lunch is available in our servery for $9.50. There is no need to RSVP for committee meetings. Member may attend any meeting they choose.
This schedule was generated on August 25. View most recent list.
· Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee: Meeting cancelled.
· Consumer Law Committee: Meeting cancelled.
· Federal Taxation, Extate & Gift Division A: Meeting cancelled.
· Real Estate Taxation Committee: Dan Patlak, Commissioner of the Cook County Board of Review, will speak.
· Traffic Laws Committee: Meeting cancelled.
· Workers' Compensation Committee (IL MCLE Credit, Webcast): Mary Ellen Kozeluh, RN, BS, CCM and Jennifer Weber, RN, utilization review in Illinois.
· YLS Immigration & Nationality Law Committee (IL MCLE Credit, Webcast): Sioban Albiol, DePaul Immigration Clinic, asylum law.
The Law Bulletin Legal Career Center has new offerings! Their center offers legal jobs in Chicago and the Midwest! and would invite you to include our link on your career services resource page, if you haven’t done so already. Already a strong resource for attorney jobs in the Chicagoland area, they are working hard to expand to include more positions available throughout the Midwest. Students may also to upload their resumes to their resume database. We have several firms who search this resume on a regular basis to find candidates to fill positions throughout their firm.
August 24, 2011
Here are some alternative career jobs we came across. Please note that this is not an exhaustive list of opportunities found at these sites:
Chronicle of Higher Education:
- Executive Director of Alumni Programs, Ball State University, Muncie, IN
- Assistant Director of Admissions & Orientations, Ball State University, Muncie, IN
As a reminder, FERP registration and bids for Phase 4 are due by Noon on Wednesday, August 31, 2011. All subsequent phases will have the same simultaneous registration/bid deadline. This phase includes:
- US Army JAG Corps*
- US Securities & Exchange Commission**
- Cook County State's Attorney's Office**
*The US Army JAG Corps has suspended its spring accession board due to budget cuts so they will not be back on campus again in the fall. Don't delay your application, which is due November 1, 2011, so that the JARO can assist you with any missing pieces.
**If you are interested in postgraduate positions with either of these offices for 2012, per these employers' requirements, you MUST bid for an interview through our FERP process. Full FERP registration is required.