Happy Friday! The next couple of weeks at Law Career Services is full of great events, receptions, presentations, and more. Please check them out below.
1Ls: Meet the Employer Reception: April 11th: 1Ls don't miss the chance to mix and mingle with employers from all legal sectors at the annual 1L exclusive Meet the Employers Reception. Please note you must have attended Creating Connections (See the Symplicity Calendar for Dates and Times) to participate. Continue to check the Announcement Box on your Symplicity homepage for information and the list of employers. More Information Here.
April 4th, Self-Assesment Workshop: Does law school have you feeling like you're going through a car wash without a car? Check out Bonnie Tunick's popular Self-Assessment Workshop in 903 Lewis from 11:50am-12:50pm. SPACE is LIMITED so Please RSVP
Alternative Careers Presentation and Reception: Thursday, April 12th: National speaker Cheryl Heisler of Lawternatives will be speaking from 4:30-5:30 p.m. in 804 Lewis and then LCS is hosting a Reception in the DePaul Club for alumni and students. Individual Appointments will be available for sign up for students with approved resumes starting Monday at Noon. Please RSVP in Symplicity.
On-Campus Interview (OCI) Program Orientation Sessions Start Next Week: Attendance is REQUIRED to participate in the OCI (On-Campus Interview) programs, even if you attended previous FERP or SERP Orientations. Dates and Information
Interested in Judicial Clerking?: Are you considering a postgraduate Judicial Clerkship? Important Programming Continues Next Week.
April 4th: Skadden Fellowship Presentation at U of C: Transport Provided. Law Career Services is renting a van to U of C Law to hear from Susan Butler Plum, the Foundation's Executive Director. She'll give it to you straight and she'll be a key ally and sounding board if you pursue this opportunity. RSVPs have closed but van spots are still open. Please email Elizabeth Boe, Assistant Director of Recruiting (firstname.lastname@example.org) to reserve.
1Ls: Due April 6th: 2012 Reed Smith and McDonald's Corporation 1L LCLD Summer Program: As members of the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD), Reed Smith, LLP and McDonald's have collaborated in offering a 1L law student a spilt summer position within both of their organizations. Click Here for More Information
Reminder: Symplicity Document Library Renamed as Resources: The Document Library is now located under the RESOURCES TAB on your Symplicity Homepage as Resources. All of our guides, handouts, and applications have been moved there under the new heading.
Job Blasts: LCS will continue to send out weekly class-specific job blasts noting open job postings in Symplicity every TUESDAY. If you wish to Opt-Out of receiving this email, please visit the Privacy Sub-Tab under your Profile Tab on Symplicity and Click No for Receive Email Job Blasts.
REMINDER: Job Postings: LCS was contacted recently by multiple employers who have posted jobs in Symplicity but were not receiving applications from DePaul students as they had hoped. Please remember to check Symplicity often and apply early to the job postings (many employers begin their candidate screening process on a rolling basis, before deadlines close). We still have postings open for all class years.
Next Two Week's Calendar - check out Symplicity, the College of Law, and local bar association calendars for more events, training opportunities, and deadlines. **PLEASE NOTE: All Deadlines mentioned on the Symplicity Calendar will now be noted in the 9:30am slot of the deadline date. These include application and RSVP deadlines.
Saturday, March 31
- 9:00 AM: National Immigrant Justice Center UVisa Workshop, Off-Site
Sunday, April 1
- Application Deadline: 2012 DART Organizers Institute. Please see job posting #16023 for details.
Monday, April 2
- 3:00-5:30 PM: Drop-In Advising with Career Advisor Lew Check, 340 O'Malley
Tuesday, April 3
- 11:00 AM: Illinois Legal Aid Online Live Help Operator Training, Webinar
- 12:00 PM: OCI (On-Campus Interviews) Orientation, 342 Lewis
- 12:00 PM: YLS Chicago's Top Attorneys Under 40: Career Tips Program, Off-Site
- 3:00-4:00 PM: Drop-In Advising with Assistant Dean and Director Alisa Rosales, 340 O'Malley
- 4:30 PM: Judicial Clerkships: Perspectives from the Clerks, 341 Lewis
Wednesday, April 4
- 9:00 AM: Residential Landlord-Tenant Law Seminar, Off-Site
- 11:30 AM: Skadden Fellowship Program Presentation, Off-Site
- 11:50 AM: Self-Assessment Workshop, 903 Lewis
- 3:00-4:15 PM: Drop-In Advising with Assistant Director of Recruiting Elizabeth Boe, 340 O'Malley
Thursday, April 5
- 11:45 AM: CREATING EFFECTIVE CONNECTIONS, 903 Lewis
- 3:00-5:00 PM: Drop-In Advising with Assistant Director Bonnie Tunick, 340 O'Malley
Latest Law Career Services Blog posts:
- Workshop Will Help You Find Your Way
- Etiquette Tip of the Week: Alas! Which glass?
- 1L Employers Reception & Creating Effective Connections
- On-Campus Interview (OCI) Orientation Sessions Start Next Week
- News and Announcements from the CBA
- April 4th: Skadden Fellowship Presentation at U of C: Transport Provided
- EJW Summer Corps Application Deadline Extended to April 10
- Upcoming Volunteer Opportunities at the CBA
- Upcoming CBA Continuing Legal Education
- Upcoming Special Events at the CBA
- General Counsel, Chief Compliance Officer . . . or Both? http://ow.ly/9XnXl
- The Case for Routine Maintenance « NACD Blog http://ow.ly/9XnOi
- Neon in the Workplace: Blinding or Beautiful? - The Careerist http://ow.ly/9XjXO
- 7 Mindsets that Cause Stress http://ow.ly/9RWA5
- Facebook May Take Legal Action Over Employer Password Requests http://ow.ly/9SsuS
- Federal Trade Commission releases report on protecting consumer privacy: http://ow.ly/9Uk03
Come visit us in 340 O'Malley, which is on the north side of the building, facing Jackson Boulevard. We have computers, a resource library, and lounging space as you work on your job search and professional development tasks.
Law Career Services Location & Details: 340 O'Malley, which is across from the two new small classrooms (343 & 344), facing Jackson. To make an appointment or access your Symplicity account/reset your password, stop by or call the office at (312) 362-8385. We have computers, a resource library, and lounging space as you work on your job search and professional development tasks.
OFFICE HOURS OF OPERATION
- Monday-Thursday: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Friday: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Weekly TEN MINUTE ADVISING (Drop-In Hours): 3:00pm-5:30pm, most Mondays-Thursdays: Please check the Symplicity Calendar for the current schedule for Ten Minute Advising to meet with an Advisor for quick questions