Ready to spring forward this weekend?
REMINDER: 2012 CPIL/PILA Summer Public Service Stipend Applications DUE THIS MONDAY, MARCH 12th: Applications are being collected in Law Career Services until 5 pm on March 12, 2012. They are available in the Symplicity Document Library. Additional Public Interest Summer Funding Resources are available here.
Job Postings: LCS was contacted recently by multiple employers who have posted jobs in Symplicity but were not receiving applications from DePaul students as they had hoped. Please remember to check Symplicity often and apply early to the job postings (many employers begin their candidate screening process on a rolling basis, beofre deadlines close). Some Recent Jobs Include: FHMC Corp.'s #15890: an in-house position likely to lead to post-graduation employement (1Ls, 2Ls Deadline: March 15th); #15897: Law Clerk for family law practicing solo practionior (1Ls Deadline: March 23rd); or Cassiday Schade's Fall 2012 Attorney Position for 3Ls, #15962 (Deadline March 21)
Proofreading and PDFs: Every time you have an updated resume loaded into Symplicity be sure to look over your pdf before you send it out. Sometimes the conversion from Word to pdf throws things out of whack: your formatting, your bullets, your margins, the number of pages. Checking this and proofreading helps ensure your resume is making the right statement about you with its substantive content, not its careless mistakes.Missed Patent Bar 101 with John White? Check out the audio of his presentation, and other great events, in the Law Career Services folder on iTunes U (Link available via the Symplicity Homepage).
REMINDER: GOT SPAM? Please ensure that your email settings are poised to receive communications from our staff's "email@example.com" email addresses so that you don't miss out on any of our communication, including resume reviews that may have landed in your Spam Folder.
WAITING FOR RESUME REVIEWS? Barring extreme circumstances, we strive to review resumes within a week of submission. If you have not heard from your advisor within that timeframe, please drop her or him an email to make sure your review has not been lost in the mail.
Next Week's Calendar - check out Symplicity, the College of Law, and local bar association calendars for more events, training opportunities, and deadlines. **PLEASE NOTE: All Deadlines mentioned on the Symplicity Calendar will now be noted in the 9:30am slot of the deadline date. These include application and RSVP deadlines.
Saturday, March 10
- 8:30 AM: 2012 Lenten Retreat: Can a Good Catholic be a Good Lawyer? Why Lawyers Need to Pray, Off-Site
- 9:00 AM: Ms. JD's 5th Annual Conference on Women in the Law, Off-Site
Monday, March 12
- 3:00-5:30 PM: Drop-In Advising with Career Advisor Lew Check, 340 O'Malley
Tuesday, March 13
- 8:30 AM: Shadow a Judge, Criminal Division, Off-Site
- 12:00 PM: Business Planning with Series LLCs - A National Perspective, Teleseminar
- 3:00-5:30 PM: Drop-In Advising with Assistant Dean & Director Alisa Rosales, 340 O'Malley
Wednesday, March 14
- Deadline: Chairman Robert E. Lee Scholarship and Internship Fund Application. Please see job posting #15486.
- 8:30 AM: Shadow a Judge, Juvenile Justice Division, Off-Site
- 3:00-5:30 PM: Drop-In Advising with Assistant Director of Recruiting Elizabeth Boe, 340 O'Malley
Thursday, March 15
- 8:30 AM: Shadow a Judge, The Second Municipal Event (Skokie), Off-Site
- 9:00 AM: Virtual LegalTech Online Web Seminars, Webinar
- 11:30 AM: LERA Chicago: A Conversation with NLRB Regional Director Peter Ohr, John Marshall Law School
- 3:00-5:30 PM: Drop-In Advising with Assistant Director Bonnie Tunick, 340 O'Malley
Friday, March 16
- 2:00 PM: How to Pay Your Bills and Your Student Loans: Utilizing Income-Based Repayment, Webinar
Latest Law Career Services Blog posts:
- Review Your Resume in pdf Before You Send It Out
- Summer Public Interest Funding Sources
- 2012 Reed Smith and McDonald's Corporation 1L LCLD Summer Program
- NIJC Volunteer Opportunity for Spanish-Speaking Law Students and Recent Grads
- CBA News and Announcements
- LexisNexis Certification Program & Fast-Track Your Future Sweepstakes
- Upcoming 2L Government Honors and Internship Deadlines
- Job Seekers: Get HR on Your Side
- Upcoming CBA Continuing Legal Education
- Upcoming CBA Special Events
- 3 Reasons Why Your Interviewer isn't Your Friend | CAREEREALISM http://ow.ly/9x1zL
- Job search got you down? Here are 3 Strategies for Staying Positive: http://bit.ly/yTUwsa
- Reference Checks Remove One in Five Job Candidates From Consideration: http://tinyurl.com/23vq5e3
- How To Be More Confident At Work http://ow.ly/9v0PI
- 7 Things to Do Over Spring Break for Better Law School Grades: http://ow.ly/9v0NG
Come visit us in 340 O'Malley, which is on the north side of the building, facing Jackson Boulevard. We have computers, a resource library, and lounging space as you work on your job search and professional development tasks.
Law Career Services Location & Details: 340 O'Malley, which is across from the two new small classrooms (343 & 344), facing Jackson. To make an appointment or access your Symplicity account/reset your password, stop by or call the office at (312) 362-8385. We have computers, a resource library, and lounging space as you work on your job search and professional development tasks.
OFFICE HOURS OF OPERATION
- Monday-Thursday: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Friday: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Weekly TEN MINUTE ADVISING (Drop-In Hours): 3:00pm-5:30pm, most Mondays-Thursdays: Please check the Symplicity Calendar for the current schedule for Ten Minute Advising to meet with an Advisor for quick questions.